If you have been accused of Fraud on a Financial Institution, please call me for a free consultation. I have practiced criminal defense my entire career, teach criminal law at the IU School of Law, and have personally handled thousands of cases. Additional information about my office is available on the home page and the in the news page.
IC § 35-43-5-8 Fraud on Financial Institutions
(a) A person who knowingly executes, or attempts to execute, a scheme or artifice:
(1) to defraud a state or federally chartered or federally insured financial institution; or
(2) to obtain any of the money, funds, credits, assets, securities, or other property owned by or under the custody or control of a state or federally chartered or federally insured financial institution by means of false or fraudulent pretenses, representations, or promises;
commits a Level 5 felony.
(b) As used in this section, the term “state or federally chartered or federally insured financial institution” means:
(1) an institution with accounts insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation;
(2) a credit union with accounts insured by the National Credit Union Administration Board;
(3) a federal home loan bank or a member, as defined in Section 2 of the Federal Home Loan Bank Act (12 U.S.C. 1422), as in effect on December 31, 1990, of the Federal Home Loan Bank System; or
(4) a bank, banking association, land bank, intermediate credit bank, bank for cooperatives, production credit association, land bank association, mortgage association, trust company, savings bank, or other banking or financial institution organized or operating under the laws of the United States or of the state.
The term does not include a lender licensed under IC 24-4.5.
For additional information, click here.
DISCLAIMER – The information contained on this website is provided for educational and informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice or as an offer to perform legal services on any subject matter. The content of this web site contains general information and may not reflect current legal developments or information. The information is not guaranteed to be correct, complete or current. We make no warranty, expressed or implied, about the accuracy or reliability of the information at this website or at any other website to which it is linked. Recipients of content from this site should not act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in the site without seeking appropriate legal advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from an attorney licensed in the recipient’s state. Nothing herein is intended to create an attorney-client relationship and shall not be construed as legal advice. This is not an offer to represent you, nor is it intended to create an attorney-client relationship.